If you are an anti-carbon person, read this post.
Carbon’s not my thing. And I do not believe “saving the world” is accomplished by eating local endive. If you are an advocate, then this special report squarely shows that carbonists have lost their fight.
There were 30.6 gigatons of carbon emitted into the atmosphere in 2010. This is 1.6 gigatons over 2009’s 29 gigatons. 2011-2020 will be incrementally worse, even with aggressive policies. In fact, hundreds of coal plants continue to be built and are scheduled to be built. Decommissioning is not remotely on any one country’s radar (and so what if Germany shuts down all 17 of it’s reactors. This has no impact on emissions). Compounding this problem is the amount cars being built for China and India (and eventually Africa). Today there are 800 million cars on the road. There will be 1.6 billion by 2035, which is only 24 years from now, see here (slide 7).
The International Energy Agency (the IEA is the world energy authority) reports that,
“CO2 emissions reached a record high in 2010; 80% of projected 2020 emissions from the power sector are already locked in.”
This means two very bad things, 1) Billions of tons more emissions, from coal and natural gas power plants are scheduled to be pumped into the atmosphere. This excludes vehicles, deforestation, ocean carbon uptake and all the other peripherals, and 2) progressive countries, NGOs, carbon advocates, etc., have completely failed at reducing carbon.
Those are the facts.
- fokakier21 reblogged this from climateadaptation
- farmakeio21 reblogged this from climateadaptation
- dirpros92 reblogged this from climateadaptation
- prosdir23 reblogged this from climateadaptation
- chetts reblogged this from climateadaptation
- calvitron likes this
- elodiedreams likes this
- impaladomesticado likes this
- egwmusic reblogged this from annadraconida
- annadraconida reblogged this from speakerforthetrees and added:
- anthrojoyce reblogged this from climateadaptation
- divinemama reblogged this from speakerforthetrees
- speakerforthetrees reblogged this from climateadaptation
- cr0clogical reblogged this from climateadaptation
- cr0clogical likes this
- inkednurse reblogged this from climateadaptation
- ellobofilipino likes this
- uhitsjayvee reblogged this from climateadaptation and added:
- uhitsjayvee likes this
- climateadaptation posted this