Nearly 75% of Americans and 68% of Canadians indicated they “support” or “somewhat support” the project, which would carry heavy crude from the Alberta oil sands to the U.S. Gulf Coast for refining, according to the poll conducted by Ottawa-based Nanos Research.
The poll also asked participants—1,007 Americans and 1,013 Canadians—which was more important: reducing greenhouse-gas emissions or having North America free from oil imports? Both a majority of Americans and Canadians, 63% and 55%, respectively, suggested reducing reliance on oil imports trumped environmental policy.
"Energy security, particularly in the U.S., is driving views on energy issues," said Nik Nanos, president of Nanos Research.
Environmentalists argue that development of the Alberta oil sands for the crude that Keystone would carry will increase emissions of greenhouse gases.
The Nanos poll contacted Americans between March 28 and April 7, and Canadians between April 6 and April 9.
The Obama administration is, for a second time, reviewing TransCanada’s application to build Keystone after rejecting the project in 2012. Keystone faces stiff opposition in the U.S. from environmental groups and key Democratic policy makers.
Nanos Research conducted the poll and they’re pretty legit. Via WSJ.
- landscape-a-design reblogged this from climateadaptation
- silas216 reblogged this from climateadaptation
- silas216 likes this
- nothingbutanswers reblogged this from climateadaptation and added:
- madtraveler reblogged this from randomactsofchaos
- madtraveler likes this
- bluej25 likes this
- fromstarstostarfish likes this
- purrfectly-natural reblogged this from climateadaptation
- cakeandowls reblogged this from climateadaptation
- theroamingphotographer likes this
- purrfectly-natural likes this
- ilfinocchioparla likes this
- toomuchcelebrity reblogged this from ilfinocchioparla and added:
- wandererabovethefog reblogged this from climateadaptation
- ilfinocchioparla reblogged this from climateadaptation and added:
- rosesmusings likes this
- loveandsausages reblogged this from climateadaptation
- nina-nana likes this
- nothingbutanswers likes this
- blueeyesnspitfire said:I’ve read a lot of other places that most of the oil will be refined in Texas and then exported to foreign markets, in which case the Keystone would NOT reduce American dependence on foreign oil. Surveys like these can be misleading.
- ellisondubois likes this
- ilovesquirrelsmore reblogged this from climateadaptation
- randomactsofchaos reblogged this from climateadaptation
- randomactsofchaos likes this
- sayrayshell likes this
- ajaegerpilot reblogged this from climateadaptation
- ifilikeityoulikeit likes this
- theamericanbear said:oh boy. and of course the gov actually listens to polls like this when its purpose is served (other polls will be discarded as necessary).
- ecodex reblogged this from climateadaptation
- theamericanbear likes this
- sevdolo likes this
- climateadaptation posted this