The federal government should expand its efforts to understand climate change impacts in the United States and provide more practical guidance for adapting to climate change, the National Research Council said in an April 15 report.
The draft National Climate Assessment does a reasonable job of fulfilling its objectives of assessing current climate change science and potential impacts on the United States, but the federal government should provide more information and guidance for the country, according to the research council report, A Review of the Draft 2013 National Climate Assessment.
The National Climate Assessment was released by the U.S. Global Change Research Program, a federal advisory council, in January (05 ECR, 1/8/13).
The draft assessment lacks information about climate change impacts on cities besides storm surge and sea-level rise, as well as detailed information on how urban areas can reduce greenhouse gas emissions, according to the council, a branch of the National Academies. The report also lacks data on potential health threats related to infectious diseases caused by climate change, according to the review. The report should consider the steps to pursuing climate change mitigation and adaptation in urban areas, such as developing new engineering codes and other standards, the council said.
The climate assessment should give more examples of actual climate change adaptation efforts under way in the Unites States, the review states. It also should provide ideas for engaging small business and households in climate change adaptation, rather than just the government and large private-sector institutions, the review states.
Basically, the NRC reviewed the government’s climate report and concluded it has some weaknesses.
- assignmentadawong reblogged this from climateadaptation
- silas216 reblogged this from climateadaptation
- silas216 likes this
- purrfectly-natural reblogged this from climateadaptation
- xmaritvijn likes this
- stuck-ona-puzzle likes this
- toshiba-uk-mobile-phones-xperia reblogged this from climateadaptation
- norio-sasaki-toshiba-jetro-usa reblogged this from climateadaptation
- climate-changing likes this
- bluej25 likes this
- celestialdistraction likes this
- raineyy likes this
- rotterund likes this
- deemmzee reblogged this from climateadaptation
- gnt00quanta reblogged this from climateadaptation
- myhzjr reblogged this from climateadaptation
- deaths-and-entrances likes this
- dendroica likes this
- cenwatchglass likes this
- alternativestatesofmind reblogged this from climateadaptation
- alternativestatesofmind likes this
- postmortemdecay666 reblogged this from inspirement
- inspirement reblogged this from climateadaptation
- humanenvironfactors likes this
- worldsoul14 likes this
- jmdj likes this
- climateadaptation posted this