Good read on why Russians use dashcams. Bottom line: To record evidence for courts.
The Russian courts don’t like verbal claims. They do, however, like to send people to jail for battery and property destruction if there’s definite video proof. That is why there’s a new, growing crop of dash-cam videos featuring would-be face-beaters backing away to the shouts of “You’re on camera, f@cker! I’m calling the cops!”
Dash-cam footage is the only real way to substantiate your claims in the court of law.
Forget witnesses. Hit and runs are very common and insurance companies notoriously specialize in denying claims. Two-way insurance coverage is very expensive and almost completely unavailable for vehicles over ten years old–the drivers can only get basic liability. Get into a minor or major accident and expect the other party to lie to the police or better yet, flee after rear-ending you. Since your insurance won’t pay unless the offender is found and sued, you’ll see dash-cam videos of post hit and run pursuits for plate numbers.
And sometimes drivers back up or bump their pre-dented car into yours. It used to be a mob thing, with the accident-staging specialists working in groups. After the “accident,” the offending driver–often an elderly lady–is confronted by a crowd of “witnesses,” psychologically pressured and intimidated to pay up cash on the spot. Since the Age of the Dash-cam, hustle has withered from a flourishing enterprise to a dying trade, mainly thriving in the provinces where dash-cams are less prevalent.
And then, sometimes, someone will jump under your car at a crossing, laying on the asphalt, simulating a badly hurt pedestrian waiting for that cop conveniently parked nearby. This dramatic extortion scheme was common, until the Age of the Dash-cam. Oh, and there are such juicy, triumphant tales about of would-be extortion victims turning the scheme around and telling the cast members to pay them money or they’re going to jail for this little performance! Don’t try it.
While those lucky enough to traverse the Russian roads with an American or other Western passport are hassled less, the Russian Highway Patrol is known throughout their land for brutality, corruption, extortion and making an income on bribes. Dash-cams won’t protect you from being extorted for cash, because your ass shouldn’t have been speeding. It will however keep you safer from drunks in uniform, false accusations and unreasonable bribe hikes.
More at Animal New York
- cactuspizza reblogged this from climateadaptation
- themovedmind likes this
- theoutsideoftown reblogged this from climateadaptation
- nowomanisawhore likes this
- etheleato reblogged this from climateadaptation
- etheleato likes this
- 0equalz2 reblogged this from climateadaptation
- sliverdemon reblogged this from climateadaptation
- sliverdemon likes this
- lalaladylove reblogged this from bobbycaputo
- lalaladylove likes this
- craftygrammarian reblogged this from pandas4256
- sinatragal likes this
- pandas4256 reblogged this from climateadaptation
- kateoplis likes this
- sosungalittleclodofclay reblogged this from climateadaptation
- thisshouldbeallisons likes this
- romance-is-blogging likes this
- k3arb3ar likes this
- davenport-6 likes this
- galactic--cannibalism likes this
- hafwen reblogged this from climateadaptation
- trooperschaf likes this
- hooptyhooptyhoopdehoop reblogged this from bobbycaputo
- hooptyhooptyhoopdehoop likes this
- bobbycaputo reblogged this from climateadaptation and added:
- oldparasitesingle likes this
- thetaciciabryanwellnessfund reblogged this from climateadaptation
- ellisondubois reblogged this from climateadaptation
- vivoroni likes this
- climateadaptation posted this