Tumblr, from the point of view of Forbes et al, is an “untapped market place.” This was bound to happen, but can we stop from being exploited? While change is hard for us tumblrers (we grumble at minor UI tweaks), infiltration by the mainstream will be even harder to manage and navigate. But ads are coming.
I see two solutions. 1) Accept that we will be inundated with advertisements. Or 2) collectively resist.
I choose resistance. I love my tumblr community. I trust them - a rare thing these days. I admire them - a human trait we need more of in this digital world. I am inspired by them - Every. Single. Day.
I bust my ass in my work life - I’ve written over $10 million in grants, peer-review for a climate journal, publish climate science, travel to Europe for business, mentor students at Vermont Law among others, am in unbelievable amount of meetings and webinars, and do countless other things that fry my brain to a crisp. Tumblr helps me keep sane.
Marketers ravaged Facebook. And look at it now, it’s become an overflowing trash-bin of hopelessness. (Thank the electronic gods for AdBlockPlus).
Now I read we’re next?! No. You shall not pass!
This is how the article concludes:
it’s already achieved a massive scale of highly engaged consumers eager for interesting content and marketers are starting to succeed on the platform. Now is the time to take advantage.
We are not a market demographic. We are friends having fun. We are contributing, trying to better ourselves self-sufficiently.
So fuck you Forbes.
- atpen likes this
- unableto-even reblogged this from lipsredasroses
- allelucedelsol reblogged this from climateadaptation
- le-royaume-du-prep likes this
- kenyatta likes this
- mikeo56 reblogged this from iggymogo
- catsgrass reblogged this from ladylaetitialade
- femmeviva reblogged this from chasinglinnaeus
- femmeviva likes this
- turnontuneoutdropin likes this
- forzanature reblogged this from chasinglinnaeus
- forzanature likes this
- shiny-umbrella likes this
- climateadaptation likes this
- thatopinionatedblog reblogged this from lipsredasroses
- janblom likes this
- anisaer likes this
- heyselfdefeater likes this
- sailormouthedmystic reblogged this from talkwiththedead
- talkwiththedead reblogged this from pushtheheart
- untiedautumn likes this
- highgatedreams likes this
- sellyourcleverness likes this
- pushtheheart reblogged this from videre-licet and added:
- pushtheheart likes this
- alteringminds likes this
- videre-licet reblogged this from leekfixer
- videre-licet likes this
- dorabetty-boop reblogged this from sucre-derriere
- sucre-derriere reblogged this from gaysealapproves
- gaysealapproves reblogged this from minigigi
- minigigi reblogged this from lipsredasroses
- blueoakavenue likes this
- theejuiceisworththesqueeze likes this
- mando reblogged this from hayesdavis
- maggiehilliard reblogged this from apoplecticskeptic and added:
- jcsalterego reblogged this from hayesdavis and added:
- semantic-sugar likes this
- courtenaybird likes this
- wesustain likes this
- museumtechie likes this
- hayesdavis reblogged this from climateadaptation and added:
- shadowy-andata reblogged this from microthoughtsandsafetylocks
- andkatesays likes this
- right-2-left reblogged this from brooklynmutt
- blacknere likes this
- thelonliestmonk reblogged this from kateoplis
- thirdpersonnarrator likes this
- murf1977 likes this
- atacabadeunbear likes this