Climate sceptics feature more prominently in newspapers in the US and UK than other countries, and their views are more likely to go unchallenged in right-leaning papers, an academic study has shown.
Newspapers in UK and US give climate sceptics most column inches via The Guardian.
Friday’s report, which was published in the Environmental Research Letters journal, delved deeper into data that was first published last year. For the study, 2,064 newspaper articles from the US, UK, France, China, Brazil and India over two three-month periods in 2007 and 2009-10 were scrutinised for the quantity and type of climate sceptic voices featured on both news and opinion pages.
The authors examined in particular the political leanings of each newspaper and concluded that there was “little evidence” that this influenced coverage of climate sceptics in Brazil, India and China. However, in the US and UK, and to some extent France, the political leaning of the newspaper did affect coverage of climate sceptics.
- sidestreets likes this
- wbds15 reblogged this from climateadaptation
- thisshouldbeallisons likes this
- 518environmentalism reblogged this from climateadaptation
- fauxstory likes this
- theapothecarysrose reblogged this from climateadaptation
- thelaughingwillow likes this
- sosungalittleclodofclay reblogged this from climateadaptation
- makeanewbeginning likes this
- oldparasitesingle likes this
- bluejayvalentine reblogged this from climateadaptation
- f1ghtoffyourdem0ns reblogged this from climateadaptation
- whatshallwedo likes this
- gravity-rainbow likes this
- indigochild12 likes this
- nicksmanifold reblogged this from climateadaptation
- alice44 likes this
- climateadaptation posted this